Tuesday, October 27, 2009

In addition to yesterdays post...

Brad requested a few pictures of the south side of the barn so I thought I'd throw them on here. I don't have any after the sheeting was installed but here are a few right before. Also I haven't cut out any of the window openings yet, as I'm waiting until I can afford the windows to put in them. I thought I did well with my selection of the windows in our house until I listened to a talk from Jack Hebert of the Cold Climate Housing Research Center in Fairbanks and was informed that vinyl sliders are the most inefficient windows on the market. As luck would have it almost every window in my house is a vinyl slider! So I don't want to make the same mistake with the windows on the barn but with the cost of good windows I don't see any getting installed any time soon. I thought about taking the vinyl sliders out of the house and putting them in the barn and buying new triple pane casement windows for the house but I think one more added project would leave me in a white jacket with my arms buckled to my chest...




Spraying the South side.

This side seems much steeper than the north side since there is a twenty foot drop instead of a 5/12 pitch roof below you.

Finishing up the BCI installation. The plan is to have large windows in the upstairs section of the dormer.

I'm really happy with the two foot eve that we chose. It gives it a really nice look.


3 comments:

brad_bb said...

Hey Tyson, Thanks for adding the pics. I started a discussion of Polyurethane SIPS on the Forestryforum.com timberframe board. You talk in the recent post about poly losing R value over time. Where did you get this info? How much does it lose over what time period. Where does it's loss level off? If you can help add to my poly discussion, it would be much appreciated. Brad

Jane said...

Well damn! I have vinyl slider windows in my house too! The size of the barn is awesome and the dimensions are very pleasing. You've done great work! Love,Jane

Anonymous said...

Tyson;
Hope your OK I've been following your blog for a couple of years off and on along with Thomas down in KY. I envy your lifestyle.
John